I have had three all natural births, two of which were in the comfort of my own home.  When I was in labor with Spencer I had a very clear and distinct impression that my next baby needed to be born in a hospital.  I followed through with that impression and it was a good thing I did.  My midwife discovered that Jack had a prolapsed cord and an emergency c-section quickly followed.  The first few hours of Jacks life were very scary for Matt and me and I can’t tell you how grateful I am that the Lord told me to have him in a hospital with an epidural.

At this point, having another home birth was not an option but given the fact that I had already had three vaginal births I was a great candidate for a VBAC.  After much prayer however, Matt and I decided on having a scheduled c-section rather than a VBAC.

Henry’s birth was scheduled for Friday, November 16th, two days after Matt took the boards.  This was a week before his due date and on a weekend so that we could fully take advantage of the three days that Matt was able to take off.  Because of the way his test worked out, Matt had a week off of work before his test in which for him to study.

Matt’s mom flew into town on the afternoon of Sunday the 11th.  She came to help us keep everything under control while Matt studied and then when the baby was born.  We got power back that night (Nancy must be good luck). Monday morning we left the kids with her while Matt and I went to my OB appt.  I mentioned that I had had a lot of contractions on Saturday and then again that morning.  She checked me and then sent us straight to the hospital.  This time was the first time I have had an OB instead of a midwife and I had to laugh at the difference.  A midwife would have sent me home and had me call her when I couldn’t talk through the contractions anymore, but I guess because I had had a previous c-section, was planning on another c-section and I was full term anyway, she wasn’t going to take any chances.  Matt and I picked up some groceries for Grandma and the kiddos, went home to get my bag and headed to the hospital.  We had to wait until my breakfast had digested before they could operate, so Matt filled the time by studying while I read All Mom’s Go To Heaven.

Around 5pm we head back to the OR.  The anesthesiologist gave me a spinal (that took effect VERY quickly) and we got started.  I was so nervous.  Last time everything happened so fast that I didn’t have time think about it too much.

About 15 minutes later my boy was born.  Remembering how long it took for Jack to start breathing at all I was overcome with emotion the moment I heard Henry’s lusty scream.  Even though Henry was born earlier than any of my other kids, at 8 lbs 10 oz, he was still the biggest of them all.

Matt’s in love too

At this point, he still didn’t have a name.  The name we had been calling him for the last several months never really felt like “him”.  I always kind of thought it was lame when people didn’t have a name by the time their baby was born.  Is nine months not long enough?  Apparently not.  Boy names are so hard for us!  We are able to pick out girl names so quickly.  We finally decided on Henry right before we had to turn in the form for his birth certificate.  It was a name that always ends up on our short list, but didn’t make the cut until now.

For anyone wondering the difference between an epidural and a spinal, the most noticeable difference for me was when it was wearing off.  With the epidural I was shaking uncontrollably and with the spinal my face itched so badly that I couldn’t sleep very well at all that first night (they gave me Benadryl but it didn’t make a dent).  To be fair, with Jack I was on a lot of different stuff so I don’t know if the shaking was because of the epidural or something else.

The next three days were filled with floating names around, snuggling with my baby and complaining about my liquid diet.  I wasn’t allowed to have solid food until I started tooting (they needed to know my digestive system was working) but by the third day in the hospital I was so over chicken broth and jello.  I think one of my nurses went to bat for me because shortly after declaring something along the lines of “I’m going to be ticked if I don’t get my dinner tonight and I am NOT doing liquid when I get home tomorrow!” they brought me eggs and toast :)  A few hours after I got to eat real food things started moving along (big surprise that my digestive system doesn’t work when there is nothing to digest).

Look at those cheeks!

He gets more beautiful every day.  He’s a very good sleeper and usually will give me at least five, usually six or more hours at night.  The only problem is since he sleeps so much I worry a little bit about my milk supply.  Doctors, nurses and lactation consultants can say what they want but I have never been able to force my babies to nurse when they would rather sleep.  I may just need to break out the breast pump to make sure that I have enough when he finally decides to wake up.  It’s been long enough that I just can’t remember if my other kids slept as long as he does without waking up to eat.

Henry is two weeks old now and while he’s still tiny he hardly looks like a newborn anymore.

Henry is universally adored by his siblings and parents.  Jack especially loves to hold him and asks to every time he’s close to him.

Welcome to the family Henry!  Already I can’t imagine my life without you :)


6 Comments Add yours

  1. Cari says:

    He is so adorable! Love those sweet cheeks!


  2. Heather B says:



  3. Julia says:

    He is gorgeous! I’m so happy for you!


  4. Congratulations on this precious blessing! You have a beautiful family. And welcome to the Crew!!!


  5. Megan B says:

    In that one picture on your lap I think he looks a lot like Jack :) Welcome to earth, little buddy!!


  6. Sanz says:

    Congratulations (6 months late!) :) I love reading birth stories. I just had my 4th (she is now two weeks old and doesn’t look like a newborn either!)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s